The diagrams look along the lines of this:
My first drawing was done in pen and ink, making a mandala of sorts. I used some blocks from the diagrams and invented some of my own.
The next experimental step was to add some color and a few more elements that deviated from a strict grid. I started by painting a grid of squares and triangles in different colors, then I drew some design lines on top. The background square were done in Turner Acryl Gouache, so they have a matte finish, but unlike regular gouache, I can paint more on top of them without rewetting and disturbing the base layer.
I used darker iridescent colors to fill in some of the design areas.