Thursday, January 26, 2012

Stained Glass Unicorn Vomit - First Look

Mind you, that is just the working title. I've been working on the ink part of this on and off for a few years now. This week, I decided to make a few more steps towards its completion and started in with the watercolor. Can you say mega-mandala. This might take a while.

Wednesday, January 4, 2012

I Cleaned My Room

I figured that was a good way to start the new year.  My little spice rack collection has grown. I was given two for Christmas with the disclaimer that they were pretty scary in their current condition and I was under no obligation to use either of them.  The country-fresh maroon one (you know the color, complete with the edges all fake sanded/worn down to the pine) needed an immediate triple heart transplant.  Three little metal rusty heart blobs were pried from below the bottom shelf to reveal holes, where I inserted some hardwood pegs. Then I made and attached little facing boards to each shelf so they looked complete. Some putty took care of the many holes where the overzealous factory worker did his handiwork with a pneumatic staple gun.

The lime green shelf had already received one makeover before I got it.  We took care of some structural issues then proceeded to paint over the pink swirly roses and yellow sponged squares. I could have seen that color scheme in a twelve year old girly-girl's room - it was probably where she displayed her fingernail polish and My Little Pony collection. It took three coats of paint to hide all the ugliness, but they both sure came out nice.

So now, I just needed space on the wall and perhaps a shuffle of other items to better color coordinate.

So here is my corner. Ta Da!

And everything in its place... except for the huge pile of papers and crap that I put on the chair behind me.
I didn't realize I had so many colors of India ink until I started racking them.

My tall ink bottles were the inspiration for needing another rack. The original on the right was too short and too full. You can see it didn't take long to find modifiers to dangle from the little pegs.

Like a giant game of Tetris as I try to pack books and supplies into drawers and shelves.
I only have about a quarter of the table for working space - the rest is taken up by the laserjet, and the wide format scanner (hiding under the quilt) and printer.